I love a good cashew cheese sauce, but sometimes you need a nut free vegan cheese sauce recipe around as well. Maybe you have guests or family members with nut allergies, or you don' have access to nuts. Whatever the reason, this recipe is perfect for things like pasta dishes, dips, mac and cheese, nachos, burritos, and more. It's is also a great way to sneak in hidden veggies!
Nut Free Cheese Sauce
✔ 20 Minutes ✔ Weight Loss Friendly ✔ Gluten Free ✔ Nut Free ✔ Soy Free ✔ Oil Free ✔ Makes 6 cups
• 8 cups vegetable broth
• 1 pound cauliflower, about 4 cups, chopped into bite size florets
• 1 large sweet potato, about 13 ounces, peeled and roughly cubed
• 3 tablespoons chickpea miso
• 2 teaspoons yellow mustard
• 1/2 cup nutritional yeast, or more if desired
• 2 tablespoons lemon juice
• 2 garlic cloves
• 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
• 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
• 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1. In a large soup pot add the 8 cups of vegetable broth and bring to a medium boil. Carefully add in the cauliflower and sweet potato, partially cover with a lid and cook for 8 minutes or until fork tender.
2. Reserve 1 cup of the cooking liquid, then drain the cauliflower and sweet potato in a colander. Transfer the veggies to a high speed blender, then add in the chickpea miso, mustard, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, garlic, sunflower seeds, garlic powder, salt and the 1 cup of the reserved cooking liquid. Blend on high until creamy and smooth for about 3 minutes. Season to taste with additional salt as needed.
NOTE: Stores well in a glass container with lid in the fridge for 5 to 7 days. Or you can freeze it in 1 to 2 cup glass containers for easy access for recipes.
Watch the video version here:
🌱 For more delicious, weight loss friendly WFPB recipes check out my cookbooks.
🌱 Work with me 1:1, I'd love to help you change your relationship with food, and reach your weight loss and wellness goals.