Yep, that's right. Carrot dogs are one of the most delicious dupes for unhealthy conventional hot dogs. The key is in the marinade. Packed with smoky flavor, they are perfect for summer BBQ's and you can garnish them just like you would your old favorite hot dogs.
DELICIOUS CARROT DOGS
✔ 20 Minutes Prep ✔ 2 Hours to Marinate ✔ Weight Loss Friendly ✔ Gluten Free ✔ Oil Free ✔ Serves 4 to 6
• 4 to 6 medium carrots, peeled and cut to bun length size
• 4 to 6 buns, whole grain OR gluten free as needed
• 1/4 cup soy sauce OR tamari OR coconut aminos • 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar • 1/4 cup vegetable broth • 2 tablespoons maple syrup • 1 teaspoon liquid smoke • 3/4 teaspoon yellow mustard • 1 garlic clove, minced • 1 teaspoon pickled jalapeño juice • 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
• 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
• Onions, diced
• Tomatoes, diced
• Pickled jalapeños
• Spring mix greens
1. Cut and peel the carrots to bun size, you can also round the edges of the carrots with the peeler to give them a more "hot dog like" appearance. It is important to use carrots that are not too large in girth. Imagine biting into the carrot in the bun and aim for the right "hot dog like" sized carrot.
2. Boil the carrots in a medium sauce pan with water for 12 to 15 minutes until fork tender. In the meantime make the marinade by whisking all the Marinade ingredients together in a medium mixing bowl. When carrots are done, drain and add the the marinade bowl. Bowl can be covered with Saran Wrap or a clean dish towel and sit on the kitchen counter or fridge to marinate for at least 2 hours but up to 8 hours.
3. When ready, heat up the grill then grill carrots 5 to 8 minutes or until grill marks start to appear, turning occasionally. Toast the buns on the grill if desired as well for 1 to 2 minutes, turning occasionally.
4. Place grilled carrots in buns. Top with onion, tomato, sauerkraut, pickled jalapeños, spring mix greens, ketchup, and mustard as desired.
Watch the video version here:
🌱 For more delicious, weight loss friendly WFPB recipes check out my cookbooks.
🌱 Work with me 1:1, I'd love to help you change your relationship with food, and reach your weight loss and wellness goals.