Creamy, easy, delicious, low calorie. Great for prepping ahead, or a quick weeknight meal.
• 1 and a 1/2 leeks, sliced, white part only
• 1/2 a medium sweet onion, diced
• 2 medium celery ribs
• 1 and 1/2 lbs. gold potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
• 1 tsp fresh thyme
• 1 bay leaf
• 5 cups vegetable broth
• 1/2 cup canned coconut milk, optional
• Salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper to taste
1. In a large frying pan add 1/4 cup of vegetable broth or water, the leeks, onion, and celery. Stir occasionally and sauté over medium high heat for 5 to 7 minutes until slightly softened.
2. Add in the potatoes, thyme, bay leaf, and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil then reduce to a medium simmer until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
3. Discard the bay leaf. Using an immersion blender, blend until your desired consistency is achieved. Alternately, transfer all or half the soup to a blender and blend until smooth. I like to transfer 1/2 the soup so I still have some texture left. Mix in the 1/2 cup coconut milk if using, and add salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper to taste.
4. Serve and garnish with more fresh thyme as desired.
Note: the soup will be very creamy and delicious without the coconut cream if you are wanting to keep it low in fat. Still tastes wonderful!
Watch the video version here:
🌱 Do you want to adopt a whole food plant based diet, but you don’t know where to start? Are you looking to lose weight and improve your health? It would be my honor to work with you one on one via my Vegan Weight Loss Course or Personal Coaching Sessions.
🌱 Do you want MORE easy and heathy whole food plant based recipes? Check out my cookbooks for more deliciousness!