This sauce is reminiscent of my time in Germany when I would go to a restaurant called Vapiano’s weekly. This is a great dupe for one of their quick, made in front of your eyes meals. An easy, fresh, and budget friendly pasta dish.
• 12 oz any style short chunky pasta of choice, to keep it WFPB aim for a whole grain pasta, I like Trader Joe's brown rice and quinoa pasta
• 1 medium sweet onion, diced
• 5 garlic cloves, minced
• 8 oz. Baby Bella mushrooms, sliced
• 16 oz. fresh tomatoes of choice, diced
• 2 tbsp cornstarch OR flour OR tapioca starch
• 1/4 cup full fat coconut milk
• 1/2 cup vegetable broth, I used Better Than Bouillon Vegetable Base
• Salt and pepper to taste
For serving, as desired:
• Fresh basil, or fresh oregano
• Red chili flakes
• Easy Vegan Parmesan (recipe below)
1. Cook pasta according to package direction. Make the slurry by whisking all the Coco Slurry ingredients in a medium bowl. Set aside.
2. Prep and chop the veggies. In a large frying pan add a 1/4 cup water or vegetable broth and the onion and garlic. Sauté on medium high for 3 to 5 minutes until slightly softened.
3. Add in the mushrooms and sauté for 5 more minutes. Stir occasionally. Add more water or broth if sticking, but the mushrooms should give off enough of their own water.
4. Add in the tomatoes and sauté for 5 to 7 minutes. Then add in the slurry. This will thicken up the sauce quickly, so you’ll want to turn the heat down to a low simmer. Continue to cook for 5 more minutes allowing the flavors to combine. Turn off the heat. Salt and pepper as desired and let the sauce sit at least 5 minutes before serving.
5. Serve the sauce over the pasta or combine sauce with pasta before serving. Garnish with fresh basil or oregano, red chili flakes and Easy Vegan Parmesan as desired.
Easy Vegan Parmesan
• 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
• 1/4 almond flour
• Salt to taste
Add all ingredients to a small bowl, stir to combine. Store in a small glass jar with a lid in the fridge a few months.
Note: Okay, technically the Coco Slurry taps us out of the "5" ingredient theme, but I am counting it as one ingredient, be lenient with me 😉. For the Slurry, you can sub any plant milk for the coconut milk (such as unsweetened soy, cashew, or oat). You can also choose to use cornstarch, all purpose flour, arrowroot flour, tapioca flour, or chickpea flour. Any of these will do. Anytime I mention "broth" in the recipe I have used Better Than Bouillon Vegetable Base mixed with water. You can use any vegetable broth you'd like, but I find this one give a wonderful flavor to the dish. Enjoy!
Watch the video version here:
🌱 Do you want to adopt a whole food plant based diet, but you don’t know where to start? Are you looking to lose weight and improve your health? It would be my honor to work with you one on one via my Vegan Weight Loss Course or Personal Coaching Sessions.
🌱 Do you want MORE easy and heathy whole food plant based recipes? Check out my cookbooks for more deliciousness!