RIDICULOUSLY DELICIOUS VEGAN BLUEBERRY MUFFINS
This is a vegan muffin of Options. They are tasty, sweet (but not too sweet), and flavorful from the blend of lemon, blueberry, and vanilla. These are true blueberry muffins, I don’t want to deter anyone away with the fact they contain lemon and lemon zest. The lemony aspects bring such a refreshing taste, yet are almost imperceptible, trust me on adding them in. There are quite a few avenues you can take whilst making these to decide if you want a slightly healthier vegan muffin, or if you want a more traditional vegan muffin. I’ve written out the more traditional ingredients, but I will give you options that work well and taste great too if you decide to take a healthier route. I’ve tested this recipe out with every option that I’ve given, so whatever route you chose, just know they will be delicious!
1/2 cup organic raw sugar
1 and a 1/2 tsp aluminum free baking powder (preferably as fresh as possible)
1/2 tsp baking soda (preferably as fresh as possible)
1/2 tsp lemon zest
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup vanilla almond milk (organic vanilla soy milk works well too)
1/3 cup of non GMO grapeseed oil (OR completely omit the oil, it works great oil free too)
1 and 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 and 1/2 tsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
2 cups organic blueberries (fresh or frozen, or organic wild blueberries if you prefer)
OPTIONAL Sugar Crumble Topping:
2 tbs all purpose flour
2 tbs organic raw sugar
1 tsp non GMO grapeseed oil
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (204 C). Line 12 muffin tin with papers.
2. In a large mixing bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, lemon zest and salt. Stir together until combined. Then add the liquids into the bowl: almond milk, oil if using, vanilla, lemon juice). Stir all together until just mixed, do not over mix.
3. Gently fold the blueberries into the batter.
4. Make the sugar crumble topping, if using, by adding the flour and sugar to a small bowl and then stirring in the vanilla and oil until small crumbles appear.
5. Divide the batter into the 12 lined muffin tin. Divide your desired amount of sugar crumble topping on to each muffin, if using. Bake 20-25 minutes until slightly browned on top and center comes out clean when poked with a toothpick.
6. Allow muffins to cool before eating. These can be stored for a few days in a sealed glass tupperware container, but I’m betting they won’t last that long ;)
HOW WAS IT? Tag @vegan_michele on Instagram and hashtag #veganmichele