Here’s my take on a flavorful weight loss conscious vegetable soup that will leave you satisfied for hours without consuming a lot of calories, which is helpful when trying to lose weight. Plus, it's an easy way to boost your vegetable servings for the day—something all of us can benefit from. Loaded with veggies, this soup is great for colder months and is super adaptable if you have other ingredients you want to add in too!
Prep this soup at top of week and it can be eaten as meal coupled with a salad, eaten before meals to help fill up, and freezes really well for later on.
MY FAVE WEIGHT LOSS SOUP
✔ 35 Minutes ✔ Weight Loss Friendly ✔ Gluten Free ✔ Oil Free ✔ Serves 8
•1 onion, diced
• 1 large carrot, diced
• 2 celery ribs, diced
• 3 garlic cloves, minced
• 4 cups green cabbage, chopped
• 3/4 teaspoon fresh oregano leaves
• 2 sprigs fresh thyme
• 8 to 9 cups vegetable broth of choice, depending on how thick or brothy you like your soup
• 1 14 ounce can diced tomatoes
• 1 cup cooked or canned garbanzo beans, or other white bean of choice
• 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes, oil free
• 2 and 1/2 cups zucchini, chopped
• 2 cups yellow squash
• 1 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
• 6 to 8 fresh basil leaves, chopped
• Salt and freshly cracked pepper to taste
1. In a large soup pot over medium high heat, add 1/2 cup water or vegetable broth. Then add the onions, carrot, and celery. Cook for 5 minutes stirring occasionally. Then add in the garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
2. Add the cabbage and allow to sweat for 5 minutes. Then add in the fresh oregano, thyme, vegetable broth, and diced tomatoes. Simmer for 10 minutes slightly covered.
3. Add in the garbanzo beans, sun dried tomatoes, zucchini, yellow squash and cook 5 more minutes. Turn off the heat, add in the lemon juice, basil and salt and pepper to taste. Discard the thyme sprigs. If possible, let sit for 10 minutes to allow the flavors to intensify. Serve with more fresh herbs and freshly cracked black pepper as desired.
NOTE: Store in a glass container with a lid in the fridge for a week, or freeze any leftovers to enjoy at a later date.
Watch the video version here:
🌱 For more delicious, weight loss friendly recipes check out my cookbooks.
🌱 Work with me 1:1, I'd love to help you change your relationship with food, and reach your weight loss and wellness goals.