For those of you experiencing a change of seasons right now, this warming, comforting, mood boosting Creamy Polenta Bowl is for you! Polenta is not something I usually gravitate towards, but I decided to make it creamy and add some texture with corn kernels. Then I topped it with flavorful wilted greens and mushrooms...and I said yes please!! It's oil free, packed with flavor, and perfect when you need a quick (all comes together in 35 minutes) cozy meal.
CREAMY POLENTA BOWL
✔ 30 Minutes ✔ Weight Loss Friendly ✔ Gluten Free ✔ Serves 3 to 4
• 4 cups flavorful vegetable broth
• 1 cup polenta
• 1 cup corn, fresh or frozen
• 2 tablespoons cashew sour cream, see note for recipe
• Salt and freshly cracked black pepper
Mushroom & Greens:
• 1/4 cup vegetable broth for sautéing, plus more as needed
• 1 onion, thinly sliced
• 1 cup cremini mushrooms, sliced
• 3 garlic cloves minced
• 1 tablespoon soy sauce OR tamari OR coconut aminos
• 3 cups leafy greens of choice, I used Swiss chard but spinach works well too
• Salt and freshly cracked pepper to taste
1. Bring the vegetable broth to a boil in a medium sauce pan. Once boiling, whisk in the polenta. Turn the heat down as low as possible and put the lid on slightly ajar. Cook the polenta for 30 minutes, stirring every 5 to 10 minutes to ensure it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pot.
2. While the polenta cooks, make the cashew sour cream (see note for recipe) if needed and set aside. Then in a large frying pan or wok over medium heat, warm the vegetable broth for sautéing. Then add the onions and sauté for 3 to 5 minutes. Then add the mushrooms continuing to cook for another minute. Then add the garlic and cook one more minute. Stir occasionally as needed. Turn off the heat. Season with salt and pepper as desired.
3. After cooking the polenta for 30 minutes, turn off the heat and add in the corn, cashew sour cream, salt and pepper to taste. Stir well to combine.
4. Serve the warm Creamy Polenta immediately topped with the mushrooms and greens. Sprinkle fresh chives and the pine nuts on top before eating.
NOTE: This dish is best served immediately so the polenta stays as creamy as possible. If you need to reheat leftovers, add a little bit of water to a medium sauce pan along with the polenta to reestablish the creamy consistency. To make cashew sour cream simply add 1 cup of soaked and drained cashews, 1/2 a cup of water, 3 to 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice and salt to taste to a high speed blender for 3 to 4 minutes until creamy.
Watch the video version here:
🌱 For more delicious, weight loss friendly recipes check out my cookbooks.
🌱 Work with me 1:1, I'd love to help you change your relationship with food, and reach your weight loss and wellness goals.