Most of the ingredients for a simple vegetable soup like this can be stored in your pantry and freezer for when when you need that comfy, cozy, quick, feel-good meal. This is a family go-to when the days begin to get a little cooler and we want comfort in a bowl.
REALLY EASY VEGETABLE SOUP 🥣
✔ make ahead ✔ 40 minutes ✔ weight loss friendly ✔serves 8
• 1/4 cup vegetable broth for sautéing
• 1 large sweet onion, diced
• 4 cloves of garlic, minced
• 2 large carrots, chopped
• 2 large celery ribs, chopped
• 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
• 5 to 6 cups vegetable broth
• 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
• 1 tsp dried thyme
• 2 bay leaves
• 1/3 cup fresh parsley
• 1 cup frozen peas
• 1 cup frozen sweet corn
• Freshly cracked black pepper and salt to taste
• Fresh spinach or kale, leaves or chopped
• Serrano or jalapeno pepper, sliced
1. Prep and chop all ingredients.
2. In a large soup pot heat the 1/4 cup vegetable broth and then add in the onion, garlic, carrots, and celery over medium high heat. Sauté for 5 minutes stirring occasionally.
3. Add in the diced tomatoes, vegetable broth, potatoes, dried thyme, and bay leaves. Reduce to a medium low heat and slightly cover. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes until potatoes are tender but not mushy.
4. Add in the fresh parsley, peas, and corn, cook 5 minutes longer. Salt and pepper to taste. Turn off the heat and let sit for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
5. Serve each bowl with fresh spinach leaves or chopped fresh kale, and Serrano or jalapeño slices (optional).
Note: For a heartier soup feel free to add in beans of choice (kidney, a white bean, or chickpeas work well), a whole grain, or a whole grain noodle.
Watch the video version here:
🌱 For more delicious, weight loss friendly recipes check out my cookbooks.
Work with me 1:1, I'd love to help you out with your weight loss and wellness goals.