HEALTHY COLD LUNCH IDEAS FOR WORK
Enjoy these healthy cold lunch recipes to take to work, or school when you have no fridge or way to reheat:
1. Burrito Bowl with Cilantro Lime Dressing 2. Citrus Chickpea Salad in a Jar 3. Sun-dried Tomato Romesco Pasta
Watch the video version here:
BURRITO BOWL WITH CILANTRO LIME DRESSING
Cilantro Lime Dressing:
• 2 tbsp raw cashews OR 2tbsp Cashew Sour Cream (recipe from my cookbook Eating Whole)
• 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
• 1 clove garlic
• juice of 1.5 limes
• salt to taste
• 1/2 orange bell pepper (sliced)
• 1/4 sweet onion
• 2 cloves garlic
• 1/4 cup vegetable broth for sautéing (I used Better Than Bouillon Vegetable Base)
• 1 15 oz. can pinto beans (drained)
• 1/8 - 1/4 tsp of the following spices depending on taste:
• cayenne pepper
• smoked paprika
• garlic powder
• spring mix
• sunflower microgreens
• red cabbage
• 1 cup cooked brown rice
In a large frying pan add a 1/4 cup of vegetable broth over medium high heat. Add in bell pepper, onion, and garlic. Sauté until tender, about 5 minutes, lowering heat or adding more broth if necessary. Then set aside.
In a medium sauce pan add the pinto beans and spices and cook until combine about 5 minutes. Set aside.
Place all dressing ingredients into a high speed blender and blend until you reach your desired consistency (can be chunky, or smooth).
Assemble your bowl/lunch container in this order: sautéed veggies, rice, beans, spring mix, red cabbage, carrot, jalapeño.
Pour dressing into a separate glass container with lid and pour onto the burrito bowl when ready to eat.
CITRUS CHICKPEA SALAD IN A JAR
• 1/4 cup fresh squeezed orange or mandarin juice
• 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
• 1/4 tsp Dijon mustard
• 1 clove garlic
• salt and pepper to taste
Desired amount of the following:
• orange or mandarin slices
• green onion (chopped)
• zucchini (chopped, grated, or spiralized)
• carrot (grated)
• red cabbage (sliced)
• mixed greens (chopped)
• sprouts of choice
In a small bowl add all dressing ingredients and whisk to combine.
In a 32 oz glass jar (like a mason jar with lid) add the salad ingredients in this order: dressing, orange slices, green onion, zucchini, carrot, red cabbage, mixed greens, sprouts. Pile until you reach the top, sprinkle with salt and pepper, then put lid on tightly until ready to eat.
SUN DRIED TOMATO ROMESCO PASTA
• 12 oz. whole grain pasta of choice
• 1.5 cups frozen peas
• 1/2 cup almonds
• 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
• 1 12oz. jar roasted bell peppers (drained)
• 3 large garlic cloves
• 1 cup vegetable broth
• 1 tbsp sherry
• 1/4 cup sun dried tomatoes, plus more for garnish
• salt, garlic powder, and red pepper flakes to taste
Cook pasta according to package directions. A couple of minutes before the pasta is ready, add peas and finish cooking together. Drain pasta and peas in a colander. Set aside.
In a food processor/high-speed blender, add almonds, bell peppers, garlic, vegetable broth, sherry, sun dried tomatoes, and pinch of salt. Process until a chunky consistency is achieved. Taste and adjust seasoning.
Place the pasta and peas back to the pot they were cooked in. Add the romesco sauce and mix until pasta is well coated.
Store in your glass container until ready to eat. This really does taste good cold, think a twist on the classic cold pasta salad.