I love a giant salad and sandwich. So much so that this has my been my go-to all summer long. The dressing ties everything together and is easy to make as written or in a larger batch to use throughout the week. It is delicious and I want to give credit where it is due. The dressing is my vegan-ized version adapted from Tieghan Gerard’s House Dressing recipe. So yummy! The sandwich and salad work great together, but also separately. Often time when I will be out of the house all day I will pack this sandwich as a quick lunch that I can easily eat on the go. The salad works great as a side for everyday dinners, lunches, and even as a full meal if you are in the mood for something nutrient packed yet light. Can’t say enough about this delicious combo.
EVERY OCCASION FRESH SALAD
✔ serves 1 as a large main meal, or 6 as a side salad ✔ dressing makes 1 cup ✔ under 10 minutes
• 1/4 to 1/2 avocado, cubed
• 4 to 5 cups spring mix or greens of choice
• Large handful grape tomatoes, halved
• 1/2 cup to 1 cup red cabbage, thinly sliced
• 1/4 to 1/2 cup broccoli sprouts
• 1/2 cup to 1 cup Sunflower microgreens
• 1 tbsp fresh chives, chopped
• 3 tbsp vegan mayo OR tahini
• 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
• 2 tbsp yellow mustard
• 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
• 2 tsp soy sauce OR tamari OR coconut aminos
• 2 tsp maple syrup
• 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
• 2 garlic cloves, pressed
• Salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
1. In a small mixing bowl add all dressing ingredients and whisk. If it seems too thick, add a tablespoon of water at a time until your desired consistency is achieved. Add salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste.
2. Assemble the salad in a large bowl with the ingredients from above. Pour desired amount of dressing and toss to serve.
NOTE: This dressing can be doubled or tripled to use through out the week. Typically the amount above, as written, will allow me 2 to 4 very large salads using 1 to 2 tablespoons per large salad.
EVERY OCCASION FRESH SANDWICH
✔ makes 1sandwich ✔ under 10 minutes
• 2 slices Ezekiel sprouted whole grain bread, toasted
• 1 thick slice sweet onion
• 1 large carrot, grated
• 1 tsp to 1 tbsp dressing, from above
• 1 tbsp avocado, mashed
• 1 leaf romaine lettuce or small amount spring mix, enough to fit in a sandwich
• 1 Polish dill pickle, thinly sliced
• 1 to 2 slices Serrano pepper
• Handful broccoli sprouts
• Ketchup, to taste
• Black Salt (Kala Namak) and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
1. Toast the bread and onion together. While toasting, grate the carrot and combine in a small mixing bowl with the dressing and pepper to taste. Assemble your sandwich by mashing the avocado on one slice of the toast. Sprinkle the avocado with a bit of black salt. Then add the carrot mixture on the other slice. Stack the rest of the ingredients on the carrot side of the toast, and then top with the avocado slice of toast. Cut in half, and enjoy.
Enjoy together or separately!
Watch the video version here:
🌱 The Vegan Michele FREE 5 Day Vegan Challenge is starting soon (September 12th, 2022)! This is your last chance to register for the challenge. Go sign up now, can't wait to do the challenge with you!!