• 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
• 3/4 cup raw sugar OR monk fruit sweetener
• 2 tsp vanilla extract
• 1 tbsp lemon juice
• 2 cups all purpose flour OR whole wheat pastry flour
• 3 tsp baking powder
• 1/2 tsp salt
• 1 tbsp lemon zest
• 1 cups blueberries (frozen or fresh)
• 1 scant cup soy milk + 1 tbsp lemon juice to make “buttermilk”
• 2 tbsp packed vegan powdered sugar
• 2 tsp lemon juice
Preheat the oven to 350°F, and line a 9x5 loaf pan with parchment paper.
Make the vegan “buttermilk” by combining the scant cup of soy milk and 1 tbsp of lemon juice together in a small bowl and stir until combined. Let this sit for a few minutes until it curdles.
In a large mixing bowl add the apple sauce, sugar/monk fruit sweetener, and vanilla extract and mix with a spatula. Then stir in 1 tbsp of lemon juice.
Sift the flour into the same mixing bowl with the other ingredients, then add the baking powder and salt and mix together. Pour the vegan “buttermilk” into the bowl as well, and then combine using an electric mixer until smooth. The batter will be thick, but be careful not to over mix. Fold in the lemon zest and blueberries, do not over mix or your cake will turn into a purple mess.
Transfer your cake batter to the parchment paper lined loaf pan and smooth it down. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes. When a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, it’s ready.
Lift the cake out with the parchment paper and place onto a wire cooling rack to cool completely before frosting.
Prepare the glaze by stirring the glaze ingredients in a small bowl and whisking until smooth. Spoon the glaze over the cooled pound cake and serve. Stores well in a large glass container with lid for 3 to 5 days.
• If you enjoy this recipe don't forget to share it with your friends and tag me in your creations #veganmichele
• Do you want to adopt a whole food plant based diet, but you don’t know where to start? Are you looking to lose weight and improve your health? It would be my honor to work with you one on one via my Vegan Weight Loss Course or Personal Coaching Sessions.
• Do you want MORE easy and heathy whole food plant based recipes? Check out my cookbooks for more deliciousness!