It always blows my mind all the different ways you can prepare plant foods, and these vegan tacos are no exception. They come together quickly for a weeknight dinner or a party. Add in my Green Tomato Salsa, and bam! You've got a taste explosion on your hands.
• 1/4 cup water or vegetable broth for sautéing
• 1/2 yellow onion (diced)
• 3 cloves garlic (minced)
• 9 oz. baby bella mushrooms (diced)
• 1/4 cup raw walnuts (chopped, omit of you want this completely fat free)
• 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
• 1/4 tsp cumin
• 1/4 tsp oregano
• 1/4 tsp garlic powder
• 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (optional, omit if you don’t like spicy)
• salt to taste
• 1 tbsp soy sauce or tamari
• 2 tbsp tomato paste
• 2 to 3 tbsp water
• 4 corn tortillas
• veggies of choice, I used tomatoes, red cabbage, fresh corn, cilantro, green tomato salsa, and a small amount of mashed avocado
1. In a small bowl add in all the spices and stir until combined. Set aside. In a second small bowl add in the soy sauce, tomato paste and water. Set aside.
2. In a large frying pan add in the water/broth for sautéing over a medium heat. Add in the onion and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes. Add in the bowl of spices from step 1, stir to combine and sauté for 30 seconds more.
3. Add in the mushrooms, walnuts, and bowl of sauce from step 1. Stir to combine and sauté 6 to 8 minutes on a medium to low heat stirring occasionally to prevent sticking. Add water by the tablespoon if sticking. You are aiming for a thick sauce consistency, not too watery, not to dry.
Salt to taste once ready.
4. Warm the corn tortillas individually on a cast iron pan or griddle (about 1 minute each side).
5. To serve, scoop desired filling into the corn tortillas. Garnish with Green Tomato Salsa and veggies of choice. Serve immediately.
* Makes enough for 4 tacos. Get the Green Tomato Salsa recipe here.
Watch the video version here:
🌱 Do you want to adopt a whole food plant based diet, but you don’t know where to start? Are you looking to lose weight and improve your health? It would be my honor to work with you one on one via my Vegan Weight Loss Course or Personal Coaching Sessions.
🌱 Do you want MORE easy and heathy whole food plant based recipes? Check out my cookbooks for more deliciousness!
🌱 Join me on Instagram (@vegan_michele) for daily updates, and if you enjoy my recipes don't forget to share them with your friends and tag me in your remakes #veganmichele