A great alternative to your typical salsa. Use green tomatoes or tomatillos as the base. I had a ton of green tomatoes from a plant I had to cut down early this season. Best way to not waste them hands down.
• 8 oz. green tomatoes (or tomatillos, leave whole unless large, then quarter them)
• 3 garlic cloves (halved)
• 1 medium yellow onion (quartered)
• jalapeño (1/4 for mild, 1/2 for hot, 1 whole for mega spicy)
• 1/2 cup cilantro
• 2 to 3 tbsp lime juice
• salt to taste
1. On a parchment paper lined baking sheet place the tomatoes, garlic, onion and desired amount of jalapeño. Set oven to broil.
2. Broil on high for 2 minutes, then flip the veggies and broil another 1 to 2 minutes keeping a careful eye on things (a total of 3 to 4 minutes). You might hear popping. You want the veggies to just begin to blacken, not fully burn.
3. Transfer the veggies to a food processor along with the cilantro, lime and some salt to taste. Pulse until your desired consistency is reached. Taste and add more lime juice or salt as desired. Serve warm, or refrigerated.
This stores well in the fridge in a glass container with lid for about 3 days.
* Makes 1.5 cups. Pairs well with these Vegan Tacos.
Watch the video version here:
🌱 Do you want to adopt a whole food plant based diet, but you don’t know where to start? Are you looking to lose weight and improve your health? It would be my honor to work with you one on one via my Vegan Weight Loss Course or Personal Coaching Sessions.
🌱 Do you want MORE easy and heathy whole food plant based recipes? Check out my cookbooks for more deliciousness!
🌱 Join me on Instagram (@vegan_michele) for daily updates, and if you enjoy my recipes don't forget to share them with your friends and tag me in your remakes #veganmichele