Welcome to my third recipe in my series of under 30 min. meals for 2. This is a phenomenal plant based Pad Thai!
8 oz. rice noodles
1 tbsp sesame oil (or option to just water fry)
4 cloves garlic (chopped)
1 red or orange bell pepper (sliced)
4 green onions (chopped, white and green parts separated)
1 carrot (grated)
Pad Thai Sauce
2/3 cup vegetable broth (I used Better Than Bouillon Vegetable Base)
3 tbsp raw sugar
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp Sriracha
1 tbsp flour + 3 tbsp vegetable broth
1 cup mung bean sprouts
Juice of 1/2 a lime (plus more for serving)
1/3 cup dry roasted peanuts (chopped or crushed)
1/4 to 1/2 jalapeno (sliced for garnish)
1. Wash and prep veggies (garlic, bell pepper, green onions, carrot. When you chop the green onion make sure to separate the white and green parts.
2. In a large pan or wok add sesame oil (or water), garlic and white portion of the green onions. Saute over medium heat until translucent for a bout 3 minutes.
Add in the bell pepper and carrot, sauce for about 5 more minutes.
3. As the sauce cooks, start the noodles and cook according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
4. Make the Pad Thai sauce by combining the vegetable broth, sugar, soy sauce, Sriracha in a small bowl. Pour into the vegetable wok, combine and bring to a simmer.
5. In a small bowl mix together the slurry ingredients. Pour the slurry into the the wok. Mix and let it simmer until the sauce begins to thicken. Once thickened, add in the bean sprouts, green portion of the green onions, cooked noodles, lime juice, and peanuts.
6. Assemble your bowls and garnish with more bean sprouts, lime, cilantro, peanuts, and jalapeño slices. Dig in, and enjoy!