Hi Friends! This is another recipe from my EASY LAZY VEGAN MEALS series on my YouTube Channel. This is an Indian Lentil Curry made in the crock pot, making for possibly the easiest prep yet! I hope you guys enjoy this one, it really came out great in my opinion. Comforting on colder days as we come into fall. Best of all it is full of fiber, good carbs, fat free, and oil free, so eat up!
1 & 1/4 c green lentils
1/2 sweet onion (chopped)
3 garlic cloves (chopped) + 1 more for later
1/2 yellow bell pepper (chopped)
1 medium sweet potato (peeled & chopped)
1 can tomato paste
2 c vegetable broth
1 c water
1/4 tsp fresh ginger (chopped)
1/4 tsp paprika + more for later to taste
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp cumin + 1/2 tsp for later
1 tsp coriander + 1/4 tsp for later
1/4 tsp curry powder for later
dash of cinnamon for later
1/2 tsp salt for later
1. If you choose to use dry green lentils, go ahead and rinse and drain them. In a medium saucepan, cover with water and boil on high for 10 minutes, then drain. If you choose to use precooked lentils, you can skip this step.
2. While the lentils are cooking chop up the onion, garlic, yellow bell pepper, and sweet potato.
3. Now everything goes into the crock pot - lentils, veggies, tomato paste, vegetable broth, water, ginger, paprika, turmeric, cumin, and coriander. Take note of the “+ more for later” part of the ingredients as these will be added later on, not at the beginning of the cooking time.
4. Stir the contents of ingredients in the crock pot, cover and cook on high for 4 - 5 hours.
5. Once the lentils and vegetables are tender go ahead and add in the “more for later” ingredients: 1 clove garlic (chopped), paprika to taste, 1/2 tsp cumin, 1/4 tsp coriander, 1/4 tsp curry powder, dash of cinnamon, 1/2 tsp salt. The reason I do this, is because I find that cooking in a crock pot, especially when cooking Indian food, the spices can cook right out. So this really helps retain flavors for the final result of the dish.
6. Serve over basmati rice, brown rice, potatoes, or a large bed of greens. They all taste great with this curry! If you’d like to see a video recipe you can check it out below. Let me know what you think.